A Quick Understanding of Carbon Fiber In Bicycle
Carbon fibers are fibers composed mostly of carbon atom,5–10 micrometres in diameter (diameter is 1/50 of hair).
Carbon fibers advantages :High stiffness, high tensile strength, light weight, high chemical resistance, high temperature tolerance and low thermal expansion. These properties have made carbon fiber very popular in aerospace, civil engineering, military, and motorsports, along with other competition sports.
4 Major Carbon Fiber Manufacturers in the World ：Toray(Japan), Toho(Japan), Mitsubishormosa(Japan), Formosa Plastics (Taiwan).
What is 1K/3K/12K/18K means?
"K" refers to a bunch of carbon fibers with thousands of single filaments. 3K means 3,000 single-filament carbon fibers in a bunch of carbon fibers. 12K means 12,000 single-filament carbon fibers in a bunch of carbon fibers.
Carbon fiber weaving method
- Advantages: good-looking, high interlaminar shear stress
- Disadvantages: low strength, expensive (weaving need cost)
Small K carbon fiber price is more expensive. Normal carbon rim and frame only the surface layer use woven fabrice like 1K,3K,12K,18K.
- Advantages: high strength and stability,layup angle can be designed, and the price is cheap
- Disadvantages: carbon fiber is not visible after forming
Note: The parts of the frame that use 1K and 3K carbon fiber also have the outermost surface appearance material.
- Higher strength means product can bear more tensile force.
- High modulus means product hardness will be greater.
- T700, T800, T1000 are carbon fibers for more strength.
- M35J, M50J, and M60J carbon fibers more modulus.
T800 is high in strength and M60J is hight module, but it is absolutely impossible to use only T800 or M60j on carbon bicycle.
So,A comfortably bicycle must have use both T-series and M-series carbon fibers.
How to produce carbon fiber prepreg.